Saturday, June 3, 2017

The best books I have read since 2012



A catch up of sorts, you could say.

Since I am a list keeper, I decided to list (by year) the books I have enjoyed most, or which were noteworthy in some say, since my last post 2012. I have read a few books since then.

2013
This earth of mankind by Pramoedya Ananta Toer

First of a quartet written by the Indonesian writer Pramoedya Ananta Toer. He has spent time in prison as a political dissident. I try to read books related to the countries I travel to and came over this Buru quartet in that connection. Good book, and I have the other three books.

This is how by Augusten Burroughs
One of those books that I picked up somewhere, an airport I think. But made a profound impact. If only in the article about losing a child. I have no children, but I have a friend who has lost two to a genetic disorder. The book made me realise how judgemental I was about her "not getting over it" as it were.

Rainy brain, sunny brain by Elaine Fox
Good news, turns out I am an optimist not a pessimist. If a somewhat cynical optimist, nevertheless, an optimist. I was reading it around the time I had fallen for a guy who got my attention by being very honest, but who turned out to be less honest than advertised, even if he was trying to be kind. (As I write this I realise that men and honesty is a thing for me).

The introvert's way by Sophia Dembling
Seems I learnt a lot that year.

2014
I re-read Harper Lee's To kill a mockingbird. And it was fantastic. Without a doubt, it will always be a favourite. Was starting to realise that injustice/justice is an obsession of mine.

Ann Cleeve's Raven Black
was one of the best crime novels I have read in eons. I was really surprised by the ending, and that is rare. (The last time I can remember being that surprised was Agatha Christie's The murder of Roger Ackroyd.

Finally read Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice. Indeed, classics have never been my strong suit. (At writing I am reading Jane Eyre for the first time). Pride and Prejudice is deserving of its iconic status.

Imago by Octavia Butler marked the start of what has slowly, but surely become an interest in science fiction since then. It was disturbing to an extent, but also fascinating.

2015

So this year I got my first literary heroine as far as I can recall. Alex by Pierre Lemaitre. One strong woman. Highly recommended.

THE book of the year (read in connection with my Master's studies) - Wendy Brown's Undoing the demos. May be the first time I have read a book in the year it was published.

Also the year I read for the first time the Narnia chronicles by C.S. Lewis. Managed the first three in 2015 at least.

and finally, 2016:
Merchants of doubt by Naomi Oreskes and Eric M. Conway. Between this book and Undoing the demos, it will tell you a lot about how I see the world.

A line in the sand by James Barr made me realise how little I knew about the history of the Middle East.

Hyperion by Dan Simmons was a bit on the disturbing side. But I persisted and I am glad I did. And so the science fiction interest was cemented.

Coming soon: 2017 books (including the reading challenge I set myself)




No comments:

Post a Comment

Because We're Kids- Lucy Reed and Bill Evans

Just because we're kids Because we're sort of small Because we're closer to the ground And you are much bigger by the pound...